Why do we get attached to our possessions? In this episode, we explore the emotion-riddled relationship between us and material objects, and what our fountain pens mean to us.
Go like us on Facebook!
Diana: ST Dupont Phoenix Renaissance F w/ KWZ Baltic Memories
Sharyn: Nakaya Long Piccolo Cigar Kikyo SF w/ Montblanc Encre du Desert
Chuck: Pilot Decimo Earth of Watarase “Mita Sansho temple original” w/ De Atramentis Document Black
De Atramentis Document White Ink - Liz Steel
From March 1st-14th AEST, we will be holding a drawing competition with some pre-loved pens from our personal collections to give away:
- First prize: Lamy 2000 Makrolon BB stub w/ Sailor Kin-Mokusei
- Runner-up: Opus 88 Koloro Orange/Yellow M with TAG Kyo-iro Stone Road of Gion
To enter the giveaway, make sure you do the following:
- Following @thenibsection on Instagram.
- On your own IG account, post a drawing of an animal that you have done with a fountain pen, tagging @thenibsection and including the hashtag #TNSPetSketch in your post.
- You may enter as many times as you like.
Giveaway closes 23:59 March 14th, and the winners will be selected by the hosts and announced on March 15th.
Vintage Aurora 88 - pelahale
Aurora Hastil - IguanaSell
Montblanc Noblesse - Paulo’s Pen Posts
Lamy Logo - Dymocks
Aurora Mar Adriatico - Aesthetic Bay
Aurora 75th Anniversary Optima - Peyton Street Pens
Pilot 100th Anniversary Inks - @_althaven
26:04—Emotional attachment to pens
- What do your fountain pens mean to you? Has this changed over time?
- Is there a pen that is particularly meaningful, and why?
- Do you feel more connected to a pen when you have had it for a long time, or when you know its history?
- What do you think your pens say about you?
- How would you feel if all your fountain pens were lost in a fire? Would you want to find exact replacements for your favourite pens or would you start over afresh?
Dr Christian Jarrett, “The Psychology of Stuff and Things” - The Psychologist
1:23:24—Thanks and Credits
Producer: Chuck Montano, Sharyn Zha, Diana Dai and Alisdair Daws.
Recording and editing: Diana Dai and Alisdair Daws.
Special thanks to: Liann, Kaz, Adam, Nicholas, Paul, Haohan, Kevin, Leonie, Hannah, Yagan, Evelyn and Louise.
Music: Michael Pearce.
Logo: Will H. Smith.
Logo artwork: Melissa Graf.