The Nib Section delves into the deep and diverse world of inks, providing not only a starting point for the beginners in the scene, but also answering questions from viewers in regards to various ink myths and mysteries, as well as looking ahead for what might be next in the industry of ink manufacture.
Go like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/TheNibSection/
The hosts were Chuck, Jean and Taveet with special guest Joanne Pham.
What We Are Writing With:
– Chuck: Pilot CH92 Orange Demonstrator
– Tav: Vintage Japanese “Woden”
– Joanne: Franklin Christoph Pocket
– Jean: Platinum Maki-e Kanazawa
03:22—News With Max
One of our producers, Max Schumacher, goes through some of the happenings within the fountain pen market, looking at newly announced pens and inks.
- Sailor Jentle NOT out discontinued, 4 new colours
- Platinum 3776 Century Nice Lavender
- Pelikan m805 Ocean Swirl
- Aurora 88 Minerali (Azurite)
- Fountain Pen Hospital announces Butterscotch Sailor 1911
- Visconti Homo Sapien Jade
The hosts speak with Inksperts Tav and Joanne to find out some of the basic aspects of inks – what they’re made of, what each type of ink is and some of the science behind it.
Ever wondered what the most recently discovered shade of blue is? Joanne happens to know, and the panel delve into what’s been happening in the innovation and development of new and exciting colours, some of them even coming from spiders (arachnophobia warning).
For iron gall inks with lower iron content, that are less likely to cause blockages, try Pelikan 4001 Blue Black and the Platinum Classic series of inks. The usual precautions for iron gall inks (regular cleaning, avoid contact with metal parts) apply.
The panel answer questions from our audience:
- Are Iron-Gall inks safe in vintage pens?
- What inks will behave well in what pens?
- How do you keep ink in good condition?
- How do you clean ink-caked pens?
- Do shimmer inks clog pens?
- Does the Noodler’s Eel range lubricate Piston/Vac pens?
- How to remove ink from various surfaces?
- What is the most permanent ink?
- What makes an ink wet?
- What makes an in sheen?
- Worst or Best inksperience?
- What are your favourite Inks?
48:21 – Recommendations
From Jean: TV Show – Atypical
From everyone else: Sun protection!
Producers: Diana Dai, Chuck Montano, Max Schumacher, Patrick Antolovich, Denise Tang.
Recording and editing: Patrick Antolovich, Denise Tang.
Music: Michael Pearce.
Logo: Will H. Smith.
Logo artwork: Melissa Graf.
Originally published on October 10, 2017.